So you are looking at the monthly events in your local community calendar and wondering who would be the most appropriate teacher for this metaphysical journey that you have embarked upon. Confusion reigns as the choices seem overwhelming and a number of questions run through your mind. “How do I pick the right teacher?” “Will it be the one teaching the coolest, new course? The cheapest or the one that is the most expensive?” “Should I choose the teacher who looks worst dressed, best dressed, or most exotic in their photo?”
There are individuals, groups, cults and organizations teaching different aspects of metaphysics, spirituality and spiritual systems all over the planet. How can you tell who is real and who is not? What qualifications do you need to become a metaphysical or spiritual teacher? Many teachers seem self – appointed in the West without much experience or training, while in eastern traditions it usually takes several years of intense study to achieve a master or teacher status. There are some programs in the U.S. that require certain standards and course study completion to be certified as having mastered a particular course of metaphysical or spiritual study. But how do you know if your teacher is certified? How do you know if your teacher is “walking their talk“?
A true teacher wants to empower you to rediscover all of your innate gifts and abilities including remembering all the spiritual knowledge you already have, but have not yet accessed. A true metaphysical instructor will be the one who teaches YOU to “be the channel” for your own self rather than constantly trying to distract you with past-life entertainment or “wow” you with their psychic or medium-ship abilities. There is certainly a time and place where past-life regression may be useful in one’s personal journey to find greater understanding of a specific issue.However, we often find ‘gurus’ using it as a curiosity to attract new customers or followers.
We suggest that you consider the following when you are looking for a serious metaphysical or spiritual teacher:
1. What are the teacher’s qualifications? Do they have a certification or degree from an accredited school? Do they have a divinity degree or a degree in metaphysics? Although certification and ‘degree’ is not the most important thing. Lineage through contact with someone with advanced understanding or with someone who truly has gone within to obtain that is revealed when someone truly ‘walks their talk’. The masters had lineage and often trained with other masters before them – even the most well-known avatars reached their enlightened status after training in the Ancient Mystery or Wisdom Schools of their era; and learning to meditate and go within to the tiny space in the sacred space of the heart to hear the ‘still small voice within’.
2. If they offer hypnotherapy or spiritual counseling, do they have training in counseling such as a Doctorate, Masters Degree or Certification from an accredited school or program in pastoral counseling or spiritual counseling? Are they trained to handle a crisis situation?
3. Do they have expertise in their professed area? Have they written any books on the subject? Have they taught at professional conferences? Are they recognized by other professionals in the area of their expertise?
You may wish to review our article on What Does NOT Make Someone A Spiritual Master if you are seeking a spiritual or metaphysical teacher.
In short, please beware of teachers fitting into the following categories:
1. Those with a great sense of self-importance and too much ego.
2. Those who feel compelled to dress or act in mystical ways while speaking in tongues.
3. Teachers that do not “walk their talk”. After all, would you go to a fat diet doctor?
4. Someone who wants to control your actions, is judgmental and expects you to ask their permission before making major life decisions. ( Yes, we actually know a few teachers like this.)
5. Teachers that insist on tying you to them to rely on them to predict the future and/or change the past.
6. Someone who claims to be an Avatar or a Being from another world or dimension.
7. Those who create unhealthy relationships with their students.
8. Teachers that tell you mostly their own personal stories to intrigue you but actually teach you little.
9. People that tease you with pieces of information but never give you enough information to use while wanting you to come back for more.
10. Teachers seeking fame, television appearances and fortune rather than a true interest in helping others on their journey.
11. Teachers that are more interested in themselves than they are in teaching their students.
12. People who suggest sex and drugs as the primary way to find spiritual awakening.
A genuine teacher wants to passionately share their knowledge with their students to inspire and empower them to naturally become enlightened. Enlightenment comes from going within and is a very personal journey. No one can do it for you. It helps if your teacher has really spent earnest time studying and practicing whatever it is that they are teaching. When you look at them and feel their energy you know that they are living what they teach. You may want to consider the following about any teacher you are considering working with: Are they healthy? Are they happy? Are they in good shape – physically, mentally, emotionally, spiritually? Are they grounded and centered? Many self-professed spiritual teachers are struggling or have chaotic, disorganized lives; and they are supposed to be teaching you how to be grounded and achieve your dreams. It is something to truly think about.
Wishing you well on your metaphysical or spiritual journey – it IS the trip of a lifetime!
In service, Love & Light,
“The Shift Doctors” (Tracy Latz, M.D., Mh.D., M.S. & Marion Ross, Ph.D, Mh.D. & Rh.D.)
– Dr.’s Ross & Latz both have their doctorates in holistic healing, metaphysics, complementary and alternative medicine. Dr. Latz is a cell biologist and board-certified psychiatrist. Dr. Ross is a Rohun doctorate and a transpersonal psychologist. Together they have written 3 books (one a #1 bestseller on Amazon), taught at national and international professional conferences, produced >70 YouTube instructional videos, meditation CD’s and instructional DVD’s. They are both certified in intuitive development, hypnotherapy, medical qigong, crystal healing, mind-body medicine, homeopathy and energy medicine from accredited programs. Visit or opt into their website at ShiftYourLife.com to read free articles, listen to free meditations and to receive updates on their classes or events. Contact “The Shift Doctors” at email@example.com to have them teach or present to your conference, private gathering or group.