The Shift Doctors (Tracy Latz, M.D. & Marion Ross, Ph.D.) are thrilled to introduce you to our newest guest blogger, Annie Burnside! A modern bridge between the mainstream and the mystical, Annie Burnside, M.Ed. is a soul nurturer, author, public speaker and teacher specializing in conscious relationships and spiritual development. Her book Soul to Soul Parenting: A Guide to Raising a Spiritually Conscious Family(Wyatt-MacKenzie, 2010) offers everyday mediums and universal, life-affirming themes to those families seeking to expand spiritual awareness in the home. Annie resides in Chicago, IL with her husband and three children. To find out more about Annie check out her website at www.annieburnside.com
10 Tips for Soul Parenting by Annie Burnside, M.Ed.
It is my grandest hope that parents from all religious, economic and cultural backgrounds begin to consciously integrate a new perspective—a soul perspective—into their beloved family while simultaneously raising consciousness in our world; one individual and one family at a time. Using my personal path of self-discovery, woven into a positive and transformational parenting approach I have created a framework for other parents who desire the same. Below are ten Soul to Soul Parenting Tips, and I invite you to take what resonates and make it your own for we are each the expert within our own family…
1. Utilize everyday life—such as friendships, nature, mealtimes, music, movies, and much more—as the perfect curriculum and forum to teach your children powerful, universal principles such as connectedness, self-love, presence, and forgiveness. Parents need not look any further than daily reality to find universal spiritual themes to explore with their children. Pay attention to life, record ideas in a special notebook, and set aside a regular family discussion time. Soon, greater depth will become an anticipated and expected aspect of family life, both spontaneous and planned.
How can I explore and share universal spiritual truths from daily routines and reality with my family?
2. Teach your children to allow multiple perspectives in all life situations and relationships by “flipping” challenges into positive, learning opportunities. Perspective is everything! Teaching this to children at an early age through role-play and dissection of life experiences from many angles liberates them from being perpetually stuck in a black/white, wrong/right, you/me paradigm that holds them back from a much larger perspective available to all who are open to it.
How can I find ways that show my family how to turn challenges into positive learning experiences?
3. Train your children to be more conscious of thoughts, words, and deeds so that they can assume greater responsibility for the creation of their own reality. As soon as children realize their capacity to shape their future reality consciously, they become accountable for all that occurs in their life. They come to see that the interior actually leads to the exterior versus the opposite. Joy begets more joy, generosity begets more generosity, and of course, the more negative aspects of each can be seen played out again and again in life experiences, as well. Help children to witness this within their own life and the lives of others.
How can I show my family that we each create our own reality, and how to make it positive?
4. Encourage compassion, empathy and gratitude in your children on a daily basis by making them the most-used words in your home. A huge first step in conscious parenting is exploring powerful, universal states of being with your children—not simply because they are the “right” ways to be—but more importantly because the energetic vibration infusing each one has the capacity to uplift oneself, others and the world at large.
How can I encourage compassion, empathy and gratitude on a daily basis to share with my family?
5. Turn the JOY in family life way up by singing, dancing, smiling, humming, laughing, and relaxing rigid perspectives as often as possible through openness and gratitude. Take a close look at the energy in your home. Yes, there are responsibilities that need to be met in running a busy household, but it is possible to increase the joy in all aspects of family life. The parents are the leaders here—if they can effectively raise their vibration throughout daily living—children not only feel the energy, but are given the opportunity to become more joyful themselves without guilt or apology.
How can I bring more joy and spontaneity into my home to be shared by all?
6. Model authenticity through speaking and living your truth thereby giving your children permission to do the same. It is time that we all became so much more comfortable in our own skin. The greatest gift that parents can offer their children is an open invitation to be themselves—truly themselves—at all times. Parents do this by first healing what needs to be healed in their own past so that they may courageously offer their most authentic self to the world, effectively showing children how to identify psychic debris, release it, and live true.
How can I change and so encourage my family to freely express themselves at all times?
7. Show your spirit daily so that your children can witness multiple aspects of you, and in turn, see multiple aspects in themselves. As parents, we are all so much more than simply parents. Let children see the gardener, the singer, the healer, the imaginer, the artist, the quiet and still in YOU.
How can I show the many aspects of myself that will let my spirit shine so that it can be passed onto my family?
8. Teach your children that they are intuitive, creative, eternal spiritual beings—much larger than simply their physical form—and filled with infinite possibility and the capacity for direct divine connection. Ultimately, the deep understanding of who they really are will be the best of what parents can offer their children so that they can reach their highest potential and fulfill their soul purpose with joy and peace. This understanding can become the basis of ALL that is taught in the home—everything can stem from this all-powerful inner knowing.
How can I inspire my family to know and trust their intuitive and creative self?
9. Assist your children in understanding that an appreciation for life in the present moment, coupled with enthusiasm for their future, plants the necessary seeds for manifesting their true heart’s desires. Surrendering to the eternal moment of NOW, always understanding that they are in this world but not of it, will allow children to see the perfection of exactly where they are and enable them to feel hopeful and excited about the ever-changing aspect of life in the physical realm. Help them to flow with ease from one moment to the next—fluidity is imperative to a peaceful existence.
How can I help my family understand that they can manifest their true heart’s desires and live a peaceful existence?
10. Provide the space and opportunity for your children to focus on their interior world as much as the exterior world, allowing greater intimacy with the voice of their own soul to feel what resonates as truth for them. Parents must guide children to balance their beautiful interior—the well of inspiration and universal wisdom—with a fast-paced modern world. Quiet reflection, contemplation and stillness can become a natural part of every day if encouraged.
How can I encourage quiet reflection, contemplation and stillness in my family? 🙂
Annie Burnside, M.Ed., Soul Nurturer with The Shift Doctors (Tracy Latz, M.D. & Marion Ross, Ph.D.)
-Find out more about Annie Burnside and her book Soul to Soul Parenting: A Guide to Raising a Spiritually Conscious Family at her website www.annieburnside.com
– Find out more about “The Shift Doctors”, their books, videos and meditation CDs at www.shiftyourlife.com **The Shift Doctors (Tracy Latz, M.D. & Marion Ross, Ph.D.) are available for keynote talks, classes, events or for seminars (1/2 day or up to 2 day) on personal transformation, team-building, motivation, anger management, intuitive development, or collaboration for private groups, conferences, corporations or corporate events. Contact them at email@example.com or find out more about them at www.shiftyourlife.com .